What do squirrels and snowbirds have in common? They both love warm weather! Keep reading for squirrel removal tips and how to keep your home rodent free this winter.
Squirrels: Are they harmful?
“These common animals can be found across the country, but some homeowners may not realize the threats these furry creatures can actually pose. Similar to other rodent species like rats and mice, squirrels can cause problems during the winter in particular, as they search for food and even shelter indoors. Although they are not known to spread serious diseases to humans, they can bite and can also cause significant property damage.” – Pest World
Squirrels are cute and furry creatures…but although they look harmless, they can wreak havoc in your attic!
Here are a few facts about squirrels that you probably didn’t know:
- Squirrels mainly eat acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts and a variety of fruits. They love to eat a homeowner’s garden vegetables, and in late winter and early spring they eat tree buds.
- They will bury food to save it for colder months when it becomes scarce.
- You can find a squirrel resting up in tree nests out of leaves, twigs, and bark, as well as residential homes.
- Squirrels can do a number on heating and air conditioning systems and can chew through electrical wiring like its their job!
- If you hear a sound from inside your walls, it could be these small but powerful furry creatures gnawing at your wires and insulation.
How You Can Prevent Squirrels From Entering Your Home:
- Seal all possible points of entry around the house, including small openings and cracks around doors and windows. Squirrels will take advantage of small openings on rooflines of homes to gain access to nesting areas in attic spaces.
- Be mindful around gutters! We notice tons of homes with openings behind gutters which squirrels can enter through easily.
- We recommend trimming tree limbs at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Screen any vents and openings to chimneys.
- Keep food in airtight containers and take your trash out regularly.
source(s): Mike Gibson, Clark’s Wildlife Manager & PestWorld.org
How Clark’s Handles Squirrel Removal
If Squirrels do become a issue in your attic, Clark’s Wildlife Team can customize a removal plan which offers live trapping and eviction services, using one-way door eviction traps.
The wildlife specialists even offer traps for the squirrels that keep trying to get back inside of attic spaces once we’ve trapped all squirrels from the attic areas. We also offer disinfectant services which will help eliminate any odors left behind by squirrels. The repairs can seal off all entry points squirrels have created and will help ensure squirrels will not be an issue again.
To learn more about our squirrel removal services, click here.
To schedule an estimate, give us a call at 803-732-2528, or email our team firstname.lastname@example.org